Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Miss Washington Week: Day 3 -- The Great Fall (and Rise!)

And the fun continues!!

Day 3:

After breakfast, another three hour rehearsal at the hotel's ballroom, and lunch, we all loaded up in our bus and headed to where it will all "go down": The Highline Performing Arts Center!!  We were able to pick up our competition wardrobe we had checked in on Friday, and were led to the dressing room where our stations were waiting for us!  As we all organized our belongings at our stations, just how we wanted them, the jitters began to sit in for us all.  It was finally real!  And "it", just days away!!

 The beginnings of my station (dresses hanging behind the station and shoes up above).  I am sure it will be MUCH crazier looking by the time Friday rolls around!


After getting set up backstage, we all headed out to the auditorium.  I have to say, quite honestly, walking into the auditorium and seeing the stage set up for the first time, with the risers and Miss Washington stage decor, my heart started beating just a little bit faster.  It's all SO exciting!!

Daniella and Jordan just a wee bit excited :).
After rehearsing for a couple hours more, this time on the stage (instead of the hotel ballroom), we loaded up again and this time headed for Renton's Farmer's Market for an official group appearance.  (We returned back to the theater for another several hours of rehearsal after the farmer's market.)  Given that I am used to Moses Lake's incredible, but moderate sized, Farmer's Market, this was quite a different scene!  In the middle of it all was a cleared area that acted as a stage, with a DJ behind it and chairs facing it for an audience.  Then surrounding this area were the many produce, craft and food stands.

We first met up with Miss Washington (Brittney) and Miss California 2011 (Noelle Freeman) there, and then each of us gave our individual introductions to the gathering crowd. (Hey, 23 "princesses" just walked in.  Yes, a crowd is going to gather to find out what is going on.)  We were then "free" to wander around the market, but had little success in this aspect as we were swarmed with adoring young children asking for autographs, and their mothers asking for pictures.  But hey, that's why we were there!


The 22 contestants lined up for introductions at Renton's Farmers Market.



Many autographs and pictures later, and a taco and Horchata downed in between snapshots, a small handful of us were drawn to the cleared area where choreographed dancing was now happening.  When the choreographed dancing stopped, and the open call for line dancing was made, of course myself and a few others volunteered!  BUT...this is when it got interesting!

Picture this: about 50 of us (maybe 6 contestants and the rest community members) line dancing in front of a large crowd watching, and others shopping around in the periphery. Midway through the dance, a guy (heavily under the influence) came up to me and quickly began dancing much too close to me (so of course, immediately all surrounding eyes were on me; and I happened to be smack dab front and center when this begun).  Feeling uncomfortable, I tried to cheerfully dance away from him.  But, my arm stuck in his, as I tried to move away, with his help I suddenly found myself going down in a very violent face plant. SPLAT!!  

Line dancing at Renton's Farmers Market, just before the gentleman in the black on the right interfered and caused a most unfortunate incident.  -That's Jordan, Miss Tahoma, on the left..and one of the gals who helped pick me up physically and mentally afterwards; she's pretty amazing ;)!

Half the dancers stopped, the whole crowd loudly gasped and even did little squeals/screams, and then at least another 100 turned to look. When I got up, my hair was caught up in my crown, my knee scabbed and bruised, my favorite heels (which I had planned to use for interview) destroyed, and my confidence in shreds!

In all my nightmares of emberassing myself in front a crowd with my crown on, this was so much worse.  But, to be honest?  In the end, I am not entirely sure it was such a terrible thing!  Yes, my ego was hurt.  Yes, I was humiliated.  Yes, I am hugely bummed about my favorite heels and large new bruise I get to show off during swimsuit.  And yes, I feel badly for any shame this put on Miss Washington or Moses Lake (I had my crown and Miss Moses Lake sash on).  BUT...My fellow pageant sisters were incredibly quick to aid in any and every way (Alex and Jordan cheered me up, and Kimball loaned me a pair of heels for interview (and MANY others offered for me to try theirs on)).  It also showed me that no matter how bad it gets in this realm, I have the ability to pick myself up and brush myself off...and that I also have some incredible new friends to fall back on for support!




Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

2 comments:

  1. Confident your interview will showcase your personality, intellect, sense of humor, and courage. Along with someone else's shoes. And assured you will bring glory to our Savior. Blessings upon you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Chris. I look forward to seeing you Saturday!!

      Delete