Sunday, July 1, 2012

Miss Washington Prep: 5 Days in 5 Ways!

From the day I returned to Haiti, to the day I left for Miss Washington (today!), I had exactly five full days to switch myself over from one to the other!  And what a CRAZY five days it was as well!  BUT, I think I'm READY!!!!


Preparation 1:  Walking Practice!

Rosalie Black started out as my sponsor photographer, but quickly became so much more!  Not only is she now my walking coach as well, but I count her an incredible mentor and friend.  This week, and the weeks prior to my leaving for Haiti, Rosalie spent countless hours of her time making me walk and pose like a model!

It's funny, because I used to say "oh, I can impress with an interview and I can blow away an audience on piano, but stage stuff just isn't where I shine."  Now, I truly feel as though I can not only hold my own walking across stage in 4" heels, but am ready to take on the Miss Washington stage and compete at the same level as any other lady there!  Thank you Rosalie, so very much, for making me into your own little model ;).

Rosalie!  Gotta love this lady!!  Photographer, walking coach and super hero!

Preparation 2: Hair!

Growing up a tom boy, I am pretty sure that the bulk of my childhood friends were fairly confused when they heard that I was the new Miss Moses Lake.  But, while I still enjoy my sports and can rough it like any tom boy can for a couple weeks in Haiti, I have now also conquered the art of a curling iron and hairspray.  All this thanks to one fabulous lady who works at Eden Salon in downtown Moses Lake: Amy Culpepper!

A lot of people can do hair, but it takes a very special person to also be able to teach someone else to do hair.  And Amy happens to be not only a fabulous "do-er", but a fabulous teacher!!!  Amy worked with me four of the last five days, with our last meeting acting as a test of whether I could perfect "stage-worthy hair" on my own.  And I passed!!  Thank you so very much, Amy, for the gift of your many valuable hours, and for your patience as I learned the art!

With my Hair Expert, Amy Culpepper at Eden Salon!

Preparation 3: Nails!

After a poor nail experience elsewhere, I walked to Eden Salon to show Amy what had been done to my nails.  She rushed to grab the manicurist there at Eden Salon, Allison.  Allison was instantly aghast at my manicure, and seeing the concern in my eyes, immediately invited me to return the next day to let her take care of me.  And take care of me she did!!  Allison gave me a MARVELOUS Shellac french tip manicure that will last me all through Miss Washington week (it's a 14 day-no chip polish), and all as a gift to me.  Thank you SO much Allison, for rescuing my nails!!!

A manicure (can we call it that?) given by another un-named location in Moses Lake.

Allison at Eden Salon working her magic to fix the above "manicure".
My resulting manicure after Allison was done!


Preparation 4: Gym/Tanning Time!

One of the greatest rewards to being named Miss Moses Lake (over other local titles), is the gifted sponsorship of a year long membership and unlimited tanning I received from Anytime Fitness and Anytime Tanning.  Ever since returning to Moses Lake from schooling in Spokane, I have been using this particular gym countless hours, and I absolutely LOVE it!!  As I am still healing from when I was sick and hospitalized in Haiti last weekend, my gym time has been incredibly limited and slow-paced this week, but I have been using it to help get me moving again, and the tanning is always an amazing tool! 

Anytime Fitness in Moses Lake


Preparation 5: Down Time and Prayer Time!!

I will admit that, sadly, in the stress of preparing for Miss Washington, like many, for a while I fell to the trap of strictly focusing on preparation of the outside.  When I became incredibly ill just a week ago, stripping my muscle build I had been working on and leaving me temporarily incapable of going to the gym or having lengthy training sessions of any kind, it brought me back to the reminder that the most important preparation of all is that of my heart.  I worked on my heart, but as soon as I was well again, I was back focused on the external (tsk, tsk Analiesse).

My heart became hard a few days ago, after frustration with individuals that I love, and I realized that again my mind had wandered to the wrong kind of preparation: external, not internal.  This time I fell to my knees and prayed that God would soften my heart and help me see His light and His purpose for my taking this journey.

I then turned to a very dear friend of mine, Tashauna, and told her I needed a "go get 'em coach", and she gladly volunteered.  So, on my very last evening before Miss Washington, when many might be going over one last practice, I headed out for some laughs and dancing in the street (literally!!) with my dear friend!  Thank you, Tashauna, for helping me prepare mentally for the fun week of Miss Washington ahead of me!!


Tashauna and I taking in some down time!


 And now, I AM OFF!!!!  I am in Seattle, ready to officially check in tomorrow morning for 8 days of crazy fun!  I can not wait to spend time with all the other ladies, and watch all of our hard work culminate in a spectacular show next weekend!  Stay tuned for updates as the week goes on!


1 Peter 3:3-4  Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.


No comments:

Post a Comment