Thursday, April 5, 2012

Evil Maid?!

After wearing a formal gown, sash, crown and smile the other weekend, I get to go in the complete opposite direction this coming weekend.  What is the complete opposite, you ask?  I get to put on scraps, a turban, carry a pale of wood on my head, and scowl and scream!  "Say what?!" you ask.  I am playing an evil maid in a stage performance this Friday and Saturday!  Heck YES!!!

I am currently living and attending school in Spokane, and in effort to get plugged into a Christian community here and socialize outside the classroom, I decided to take a role in a local play.  It is a very high quality production (rehearsals for the last four months!!) and free to the public, so if you are in the area this weekend, please come check out one of the performances: 7:30 pm Friday, 2:30 pm Saturday and 7:30 pm Saturday at New Hope Christian Center on Argonne in Spokane.  The play captures the life of Christ, from his miracles to his arrest, crucifixion and resurrection.  Details are in the flyer below, but if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.  And don't worry!  It's not a musical!  You don't have to hear me sing ;).  Whew! 

                    At dress rehearsal last night.

Taking part in the play does mean, unfortunately, that I will not be able to take part in Moses Lake's Easter egg hunt on Saturday afternoon.  But if you are in the Moses Lake area, be sure to go check it out: McCosh park, gunshot start at noon (get there early!!), and 600 dozen eggs with lots of prizes and candy!  It's free to the public thanks to the Moses Lake Lions Club, Willamette Egg Farms, the Monroe house and the Columbia Basin Herald, but be sure to bring your own Easter basket!  I am sorry I will not be able to be there, but I would love to hear all about it afterwards!

I have been asked to give a sort of "day in the life of..."   As a medical student with a lot of extra curricular activities and outside interests, every day is different.  But I will use today as an example.  My first class this morning, Rural Health, started at 9 am, and was followed by Parasitology from 10 to noon.  From noon to 1 I attended the Global Health club meeting where about ten of us sat around eating delicious Ethiopian food and discussing at what point the giving of aid to a third world country goes from enabling to over-stepping.  Following Global Health I took off and studied on my own for a couple hours before coming back to campus in order to practice physical exam skills from 3 until 5.  After learning to perform a few of the more less-than-comfortable, invasive procedures (no, the medical students do NOT volunteer, but bless the souls of those who do!), I went and got some dinner and spent the next couple hours doing business over the phone: interviewing with a reporter regarding the Clinton Global Initiative, scheduling a photo shoot as part of being Miss Moses Lake, speaking with the director of a clinic I am working with in Haiti and making plans for my next trip to Haiti this summer.  At 8 I headed across town for soccer, where I was the only female in a group of about 20 great guys who play once a week, and I got some fun exercise in (while studying on the sidelines in down time) and even scored a goal!!!  I then headed home and played piano for 20 minutes, did a few chores, caught up on some e-mails, ordered the piano piece I plan to play for Miss Washington and am now back to studying, where I will be until about 2 am!  OH, but the best part of today!!!!.....I found out I passed Immunology (the final exam I had yesterday)!!!!!  SUCH a relief!!

Obviously "a day in the life of Analiesse" is fairly hectic; perhaps more hectic than what is ideal.  Tomorrow, today's soccer game will be replaced with an all evening dress rehearsal for the play, and so on and so on.  But the one thing that I can say is that I never look back and wish that I had done more.  I live in the freedom that I have the power to be anything I want to be, and can accomplish anything (reasonable) I want to accomplish....and I put my full energy towards being who I want to be and driving towards those goals I want to reach.   This is certainly not to say that I have not lived through very hard times or that I don't doubt my direction occasionally.  But I have chosen to live a life framed by intent, and this combined with the willingness to love on and positively impact the lives of others, allows me to live with no regrets. 

Blessings to you!!

Analiesse

No comments:

Post a Comment