Thursday, April 19, 2012

Are you a doctor YET!?


"Are you a doctor YET?!" Wednesday evening I arrived for soccer and received this greeting for about the hundredth time. But secretly, I love when someone asks me this!


As of today, I am exactly three weeks away from finishing my first year of medical school.  Then....only three more years to go!  And while it has been a VERY long road in many ways, in other ways I can't believe that I will be "Dr. Isherwood" in just three short years.  And yes...I just typed that out (I think for the first time ever).....Dr. Isherwood.  If this gives you a small amount of nervous chills down your spine, to think of my being a physician in that short amount of time, you are not alone.  I, too, find this a wee bit nerve wracking!  ;)


In order to become a medical doctor, one must first receive a Bachelor's degree - typically a four year degree.  After receiving my AA (two year degree) from Big Bend Community College, I transferred to Western Washington University and majored in Behavioral Neuroscience.  I finished the degree, along with all the physics, chemistry and biology classes required for medical school, in three additional years, totaling five years of undergraduate work.  I graduated from Western Washington University in spring 2011 at the top of my class and as my graduating class's commencement speaker!





I received a standing ovation following my speech!


Applying to medical school is a BIG deal, and the process starts about a year before the student hopes to begin attending.  After a successful primary application, secondary application and interview, I was accepted to the University of Washington School of Medicine in March 2011, and began classes at one of the best medical schools in the world in August 2011!


While the path I am on is undoubtedly extremely exciting and holds a promising future, it has certainly not all been easy!  Only part of the difficulty which has been mass amounts of studying.  In order to maintain my involvement in the various things I am interested (soccer, volunteering in classrooms, working abroad and spending time with friends), I must study every free moment I have....and then some!  My poor friends must think I am crazy when I show up to soccer practice with my anatomy textbook or to the Sweeper pageant with the Brachial plexus sketched out on a note card shoved into my clutch. :)

  Studying anatomy between soccer matches, 
like the true nerd I am!  ;)


But when challenging weeks like this come along (I just had five exams in two days), I remind myself that I am going to my top pick of any school in the world, that I am living my life to the very fullest of my ability despite being in medical school, that the Lord is blessing and protecting me through every trial I face, and that in the end I have the tremendous privilege of becoming Dr. Analiesse Isherwood!


If you have any questions about the path to becoming a physician, or about higher education in general, please feel free to ask!  Last month I was at a middle school talking about higher education and just Tuesday evening I was at Gonzaga University speaking to pre-med students about medical school, and I would be happy to answer any of your questions as well!


Phillipians 4:13  I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment