Saturday, July 7, 2012

Pre-Final Competition Night Thoughts :)

This is a rare type of posting, particularly with the time constraints and pressure we are under at the moment (we leave for the theater shortly, where we will be given exactly 2 hours in order to do all preparation), so please enjoy and consider with sincerity my thoughts :).

Last night was the preliminary night of competition, where I competed in physical fitness in swimwear, evening gown, talent (piano) and on-stage question.  The morning previous (Thursday), I also had my private interview with the judges.  Tonight?  After the opening dance number, the top ten finalists will be announced, and those top ten will then compete for the title of Miss Washington 2012.

Tonight, as I sit here listening to the other contestants scurry about, anxious for the night to officially begin, I sit here with an overwhelming peace.  Peace because I think I have a great shot at winning?  Not at all.  I can tell you honestly that I truly do not think I will be one of the top ten finalists announced; I don't believe so not because I am not good enough as an individual, but rather because I am surrounded by 21 INCREDIBLE ladies who I have SO much I could learn from.  I have peace tonight because I know, personally, just how much I have overcome to be here, and just how much I have learned and grown through this process.  And I have ZERO regret!

When I became seriously ill with Cholera two weeks ago, the illness stripped me of the external body I had worked so hard for months for.  And while devastated, I also felt an overwhelming voice within telling me that my preparation needed be more inward, and less outward.  You see, it is my true belief this evening, as I sit here about to go into the final night of the largest competition I have ever (or may ever) take part in, that God brought me here for bigger reasons than I can comprehend.  Most feel that they were led here to potentially be the next Miss Washington.  But what if I were led here to be an example and a light to the 21 other AMAZING women with me?  And what if I were led here to learn and grow in ways I did not know possible, that have little to do with the claiming of a state title?   I sit here this evening, filled with peace, because I believe that I was brought here, and have succeeded at both these things.

Yes, this evening is going to be emotional.  How could it not be?  I used to laugh (and still do) when I think about the typical "beauty queen" tearing up.  But think about!  All 22 ladies here this evening have been working months (and some for years) to perfect their bodies, their talent, their personal presentation, and their interaction with and service to others.  All to lead up to this week.  Then this last week, we have spent 7 incredibly fun, but long (think MANY nights with little sleep and very full, demanding schedules) days growing as individuals and bonding as tight-knit sisters.  Tonight, we are ALL exhausted, we are all ready to showcase what we have worked so hard for, and we are all anxious to see which one of our new sisters will represent us, and the greater state, as Miss Washington 2012.

Chances are, yes, I will likely tear up tonight.  But not tears of regret!  I have none of those!!  But tears of exhaustion!  Tears of finality!  And tears of the overwhelming emotion that surrounds my love for these ladies and my hope for each and every one of their lives, whether they become Miss Washington 2012, or not.

Thank you all for your support.  I am so very, very grateful for this opportunity to represent the hometown I love and am proud to call my own.  As am I thankful to the INCREDIBLE volunteers who have made this experience possible, and to these AMAZING, AMAZING (have I said that enough yet? ;) ) ladies for making this week so special. 

To my supporters, please pray with me that God will be given the glory this evening!  Amen, amen, AMEN!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment