Sunday, January 12, 2014

A Reflection on Haiti: 4 Years Post-Earthquake

~~~~~~THIS IS A DRAFT~~~~~~~~

Please do not conclude too much from what is below.  In fact, you should really just push the "back" button now.  ;)  I write something every year on the anniversary of the earthquake, and I wanted to make sure I wrote down and published my thoughts tonight (1/12/14).  But, my heart is heavy, and my mind conflicted.  I will come back to this when I can see through the clouds a bit better.  Please excuse the clumsiness below for now.  :)


My Dearly Beloved Haiti-

You break my heart.  But I love you.  Just the sound of your name invokes a great sorrow, remorse, frustration.  But I love you.  You continually break my heart yet again and again.  But I can't stop loving you.

Nearly every week, someone will proudly tell me of their upcoming work in Haiti, or of their friend's work in Haiti, or of their neighbor's uncle's ex-girlfriend's work in Haiti.  There is always an excitement in their voice.  A seeking for my mutual excitement and approval.  But do they not see??

Haiti, you are broken.  And this great influx of naive aid only sits further on your weakened knees.  Their hearts are beautiful!  Please, do not blame them!!  They are just as excited to see your children's smiling faces as I once was.  They walk away with the same thrill and wonderment I once did.  Please, understand they want nothing but the very, very best for you!!  Truly!

After the earthquake, you needed help.  You were crippled, and you so desperately needed people to reach in and do what they could to save every life within your borders.  But, as the aid multiplied, lingered, and remained blind to your nature - it has debilitated your ability to help yourself.  Just as in the way a small chick helped out of its shell has not the strength to support its own life, you no longer have the ability to help yourself from your knees

I know things were hard for you before; I know you hurt.  But, at least you had functioning businesses.  While painful, you walked on your own two weak legs. But now, the number of Haitian owned clinics within Port au Prince can be counted on one hand, as the others have been run out of by the well-intentioned "free clinics".  What we see is "helping" the patients in front of us; while what you know is the trade of long-term care familiar with the culture within which it lies, to a short sighted "flashy" care rot with misunderstandings.

That doctor, he truly meant the very best!  He saw a hurting child with hydrocephalus, who was certain to live a life of difficulty if someone did not do something!  So, the doctor stepped in....



Oh dear Haiti, you give me renewal.  You give me joy.  You give me an understanding of beauty.  And so I love you.

But oh, how I hurt for you.

-Your Beloved

No comments:

Post a Comment