Saturday, January 12, 2013

A Reflection on Haiti: 3 Years Post-Earthquake


For much of the world January 12th, 2010 was a mostly ordinary day; for others, those who lived in Haiti, had loved ones in Haiti, or had invested their hearts in Haiti, the afternoon of January 12th, 2010 is an afternoon we will never forget where we were.  It’s Haiti’s own 9/11 in ways.  But where 9/11 killed 3,000 people….the earthquake in Haiti killed 300,000!!!!

Serving on a medical team in Port au Prince December 2009
On the afternoon of January 12th, 2010 I was at my biology lab; the first day of class in a new quarter and I was already talking my classmates’ ears off about this amazing country I had just returned from: Ayiti (aka Haiti).  I spoke of the beauty of the country, the incredible individuals I had met, my confusion surrounding the face of poverty, the pain of the people, and my excitement and hope to return.  When I stepped out of lab and turned my cell phone on, I had a dozen missed calls and text messages of concerned friends and family.  Friends wanted to know if I had returned yet or was still there, my sister wanted to know if I had seen the news, and my boyfriend wanted to know exactly what neighborhoods of Port au Prince I had been in and where my colleagues were located.

For the first several hours the severity of the earthquake was not known; there was no communication or pictures from the country.  But the situation quickly went from an “oh my goodness, I was just there!” to a “Oh dear Jesus….please, please, PLEASE NOOO!” as more information came forward.  My sister’s calls went from “have you seen the news?!” to “oh Heavens, are you okay?!”  And in truth, no, I wasn’t okay.  I couldn’t watch the news, and I stopped answering my cell phone as I turned inward. And when I learned that the guest house I had stayed in had fallen....I felt the world as I had once known it fall as well.  And to this day, I live, breathe and dream Haiti.

The rubble in the foreground is a part of the guesthouse I stayed at in the weeks prior to the earthquake.  6 lives were lost here.
Prior to that trip to Haiti, I had never in my life traveled to a third world country…and of any country, city and time I could have traveled, I traveled to Port au Prince, Haiti only weeks before the century’s largest natural disaster.  In my view: this was nothing short of the Lord laying this incredible nation  and its people at my heart's doorstep.  He has given me a story for Him and a passion bigger than life itself.  While I would give anything in the world for the earthquake to have not torn apart such a beautiful country the way it did, I thank the Lord for the role he has allowed it to play in my life.
 
The presidential palace, before and after. Both images I took with my own camera. The above was taken during my first trip (Christmas time, December 2009).  The picture below was taken during my second trip (in the weeks after the earthquake).


So much of my view of the world has changed since that terrible day.  A few things that I have learned:

1)      Hope, determination and faith are stronger than any cement, brick or metal.  How grieving widows, hungry children, and hurting wounded continue to praise the Lord, speaks louder in itself than anything more I could say. 

2)      The rebuilding of physical buildings is not equivalent to the rebuilding of lives.  When I tell people that I am (once again) traveling to Haiti, I am often asked “how are things going down there; are things being cleared or rebuilt?”  While I can say yes, there are significantly fewer piles of rubble, I do not think this means that life is truly better for the people of Haiti.  It’s nice, sure, and it makes us feel good about the work being done.  But from what I can see, the pain and hurt, and spiritual brokenness is even greater than before.  We need to continue to work in the lives of those in Haiti with mindfulness of TRUE needs.  While clearing the streets of rubble is nice, and while the giving of handouts bring smiles, these are not necessarily the answer to alleviating true pain.

3)      Sometimes it is with the crumbling of buildings (literally and figuratively) that the Lord's faithfulness shines brightest.  Prior to the earthquake there was a beautiful pink cathedral in downtown Port au Prince, and on the side of the building was a moderately sized crucifix.  The crucifix was there, and pretty, but certainly not the focus of the scene.  The earthquake completely and totally devastated the cathedral so that the only thing that remains standing, untouched, is that statue of Christ on the cross.  For many in Haiti, this is representative of their faith as well.  The Lord was there in their lives, but not THERE.  The earthquake forced the people of Haiti to stop, and if they were lucky enough to survive, to re-evaluate the role the Lord played in their lives.  But we never know when an "earthquake" (or car accident or heart attack) will hit our lives, and whether we will survive.  I challenge you to not wait until it's too late, and allow the crucifix to take its rightful place at the center of your life.  Today, this is an important reminder for myself, as well.

Most of the world did not even realize today was the 3rd anniversary of the devastating earthquake; for some of us though, for those of us who call Haiti home of our lives or of our heart, today stands very heavy.  My skin may be white, but my heart is largely Haitian, and today I mourn, and celebrate life, with the people of Haiti.  Sonje Ayiti… toujou ak pou tout tan;  Remember Haiti....always and forever.

 


To those I have served alongside in Haiti or for Haiti- thank you for allowing our common love for the Haitian people to flourish.  I have been blessed by the meeting of so many incredible, selfless people, it's crazy...and you inspire me like you wouldn't believe.  It's amazing how many of us have gone on to create something larger than ourselves.  You have taught me that you are never too young, too weak, too poor, or too broken to make a worldly difference! May God have all the glory!

To my brothers and sisters in Haiti- let us remember the lives of those we lost. But let us also celebrate the lives the Lord has given us to live. Today, dance in the streets! Feel both the rain and the sun on your face! Reach your hands to the heavens and dance and sing as loud as you can so that all the world can hear! The Lord selected YOU for life and has given YOU a story to tell the world. LIVE IT! Alleluia!! Mèsi Jezi pou lavi sa a ki ou ban m '!

 

1 comment: