Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Rhodes Scholarship Part 2: The Arrival and Finalist Luncheon



In the weeks leading up to the Rhodes Scholarship finalist weekend, I was immersed in preparation: essays to better illustrate my thought processes, mock interviews, suit shopping, media interviews and meetings with university officials.  But nothing could have prepared me for the competition that lay ahead.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Friday morning, I was well rested, excited, nervous and calm all at the same time.  I arrived at a large law firm sky scraper in downtown Seattle much before the noon report time, and took my time singing and praying in my car, inspecting my suit time and time again, and then finally telling myself it was okay to get out of my car and head up to the 29th floor.  On the 29th floor, I was immediately greeted by a secretary who asked for my official transcripts, and handed me a name tag in exchange.  I looked down at the name tag, with my name and university affiliation described, and realized that yes indeed, I was supposed to be there!

The view from the 29th floor of K&L Gates in downtown Seattle.

Name tag in place, I joined a group of equally excited and nervous individuals in the law firm’s library.  I was fascinated by the vast range of universities and study interests represented.  There were students from Harvard, Stanford, Western Oregon University, University of Wyoming, and Pomona College, and everywhere in between!  As a list is not distributed prior to the weekend, this was all new to me!  I was excited to find a couple other neuroscience majors with whom I could talk neuro geek talk, and a bit later on, I was fascinated by one girl’s research on the link between the Feminist movement and the current LGBT movement.

It was not long, however, before the secretary of the Rhodes Committee, Robert Mitchell, joined us in the library, and explained a bit of what was ahead.  We then followed him down the hall to a room set up for lunch, with the seven committee members lined up at the entrance in a greeting line.  Down the line, I introduced myself seven times over, but on multiple occasions one of the committee members would jump in and say “Haiti!” or “medical student!”, as a way of acknowledging their connection between my face and name, and my application they had already poured over.  The seven committee members, or “players of the game”, as best as I remember, were:

  •                 Robert Mitchell* – K&L Gates attorney, working on Exon Valdese (committee secretary)

  •                 Gerry Grinstein* – Former CEO of Delta and Burlington Northern Railroad, currently retired (committee chair and only committee member not a former Rhodes Scholar)

  •                 John Melin* – CEO of Brown & Haley candy company (modern day Willy Wonka)

  •                 Malia Fullerton* – Genetic Ethics Researcher at the University of Washington School of Medicine

  •                 Beth Eben* – Harborview Pediatrician and researcher of adolescent risk assessment

  •                 Jennifer Miller – English Renaissance professor at UC Berkley

  •                 Newman Nahas – Defense attorney for Facebook, and other social media

*Denotes committee member who takes part each year

After a few minutes of mingling, Robert Mitchell interrupted and asked that we gather around in a circle.  He started off by saying that looking around the room, the other committee members and him had decided that if they were applicants today, they would have no chance of winning the scholarship (I am sure he gives the same speech every year).  He went on to say that as no alternates are named, and as papers for enrollment to Oxford are signed immediately upon announcement of the Rhodes Scholars, if there were any intention to not go forward, we should excuse ourselves now.  He also encouraged us to put down our electronic devices throughout the weekend, and get to know one another as much as possible, as “you are all amazing individuals”.  We then went around the room and took turns introducing our name, hometown, university and proposed area of study at Oxford. 

When we were through with introductions, we were asked to take our seats, marked by an additional name tag.  There were three tables, with three spots for a committee member at each table, and we were warned that between each course, the committee members would rise and change tables as a way of getting to know as many of the contestants as possible.  For example, during our salad course, I sat next to Beth Eben, during the entrée I sat next to Jennifer Miller, and during dessert, no-one filled the committee member chair directly next to me, but I conversed a bit across the table with John Melin.

Looking back, I think it would have been intensely fascinating to have had hidden cameras in the room, so that the nervous and forced behavior of participants could be analyzed.  Overall, I did not want to brown nose, so found myself holding back even when there were things I could have contributed.  For example, in talking with Dr. Malia Fullerton about her research on divulging genetics information to patients, I could have easily mentioned and discussed a New York Times article I had read just that morning, but I did not want to appear overly eager, so held back.  Other students responded to the environment in the complete opposite away.  One student at the same table as me, reflected half of the conversation back on to himself and his home state and university.  It irritated me to no end in the moment, but I reminded myself that he was also responding under pressure, and that the judges were likely to see right through it (funny thing though, he ended up being one of the two Rhodes Scholars named at the end of the weekend - and he ended up being a phenomenal and likable guy).

At the end of lunch, our interview schedule was handed out, and I noted that my randomly selected time was the very middle of the next day (slot 5 of the 9 possible on Saturday).  We were then given a brief tour of the 29th floor, showing us where we could wait as a group (the library we had all congregated in earlier), the holding room we would wait in directly before our interview, and the interview room itself.  And after the committee members said their good-byes and parted ways, the contestants sat around a long table in the library, and began sharing a bit more of our backgrounds and inspiration.  After watching the first two interviewees come back either in visible sweats or choked back tears, however, I decided that I needed a mental break, so left the group in agreement to join the others for dinner a bit later on.

That evening, about half of the finalists met up at Club Contour in downtown Seattle, where we divulged in $3 cheeseburgers.  It was nice to see one another outside the stuffy suits and forced confidence, and we talked in more down to earth ways.  I found myself at the end of the table with the three finalists from Montana, all of whom had known each other going into this and who had prepared alongside one another.  In fact, two of the guys had even roomed together at one point!  It was a moment of “wow, small world”, but also an acknowledgement that their university was doing something right.  Overall, though, I found myself liking the individuals much more with our nervous façade down, and I recognized the same about myself.

In front of Brown & Haley Almond Roca, at a grocery store across the street from K&L Gates.

No comments:

Post a Comment